Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Me and Mindy Kaling

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) [Book]As everyone knows, Kelly Kapoor (as played by Mindy Kaling) loves Bridget Jones and impersonates her sometimes on customer service calls.  She likes ice cream.  She needs a boyfriend.

If you haven't read it yet, spoiler:  Mindy ALSO loves Bridget Jones as shown in her new book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns)....which you should totally read, like, nowish.  She specifically talks about how a nontraumatic event has made her cry: when Mark Darcy tells Bridget that he likes her just the way she is as she's making an "Irish Exit" from the smug married dinner party.  (Ok, maybe it's not technically an Irish Exit, but we didn't SEE her say goodbye.  Same thing.)  Yes, Mindy.  It is fabulous.  It's not Ephrony, but that's kinda why it's so awesome.

The major take-away from her book (other than laughter and delight that we could totally be best friends - no seriously, I might stalk you, Mindy) is that I discovered I might be afraid of dating "men."  Eek!  I didn't realize it, but yes, Mindy, you're right!  I'm scared when guys have everything together and have all of these real grown up opinions about things.  I don't know if I'm ready for the medicine cabinet with Lipitor in it just yet.  If you want to see me squirm, have a guy mention how his stockbroker saved him some money, allowing him to take a week long vacation to Brazil where he went to museums by choice instead of getting drunk and scamming on half-naked babes on the beach.  What?  That should be drool-inducing, but I'd be scared to death!  Apparently, I want to be the more cultured, mature person in the relationship, and that is a P-R-O-B-L-E-M!  Note: not because I know a lot of guys like this and have been running for the hills upon meeting them, but because I'm apparently not even looking for them!

Eye opening.  I needed that.  Thanks, Mindy.  (That makes us totally BFFs now, by the way.  My closet es su closet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment