Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Shelf Full of Self-Help

Remember when Bridget tosses out the self-help books in the awesome Chaka Khan "I'm Every Woman" montage?

I'm prepping for that moment in next year's experimental "year as Bridget Jones" by reading up now!  Tongue in cheek, of course...unless it works, in which case I'll swear by it.

Today, a friend reminded me of a running theme in these self-help books - "visualize" the target.  So if my target is Mark Darcy, I need to visualize my Mark Darcy.  Will he actually be a barrister?  Well, considering we'd never call them barristers, probably not.  Divorced from his Japanese wife?  Will he be wearing a reindeer jumper?

Going back to Bridget's own inspiration (a wet shirt clad Colin Firth in BBC's Pride and Prejudice), I wonder what I would think of Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy himself if I met him tomorrow.

(1) He wouldn't have a job.  So, I wouldn't love that. 
(2) He'd have lived in his parents' house until they died.  Not a far cry from the average unmarried guy living in his parents' basement. 
(3) He'd hunt all kinds of innocent creatures for sport. 
Suffice it to say, thank goodness times have changed.

I have no idea what my Mr. Darcy will be like, but I hope that I'll have an open heart and mind to whatever form he happens to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment