Friday, December 31, 2010

The Book vs. The Movie

In preparation for next year, I re-read Bridget Jones's Diary, hooray!  My main focus in re-reading was to decide once and for all which I'm following: the book or the movie?  Down to the wire now, I have to finally choose.

Honestly, I've got to go with the movie.  I know people who read books before they watch movies are "supposed" to love the books more and be mad about any discrepancies between the two.  There are certainly a lot of differences - the Pamela Jones fiasco, the progress with Mark Darcy, the length of the Daniel relationship, even her birthday.

But I can't help it.  I love the movie more. 
It has more of the structure of Pride and Prejudice, it kept the voice of Bridget alive while giving us a chance to form our own opinions of events from outside of her POV.  Another way of saying I was able to both laugh with her and at her in the movie...but just with her in the book.

So, for the record, folks - I am Bridget Jones, as played by my alter-ego Renee Zellweger.  Let the new year of being Bridget begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment